Monday, March 2, 2015

Simply Stripes

By looking over my last few posts, you might think I have a thing for stripes.  Well, I guess I do!  Especially when it comes to these colors!


This oversized t-shirt dress had been hanging in my refashion closet for some time.  It was to be a simple refashion, really just an alteration, but I never got around to it.  Well, my husband I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary by spending a few days on the Oregon coast and I thought it would be a perfect time for some "guilt free" sewing.  You know, no housework to do, no meals to fix, no taxes to calculate, etc.!  He was going to enjoying reading and relaxing, and I figured I would sew.  We had a great time and I was able to get a few projects finished.  Plus, an added bonus was having the beautiful Oregon coast as a backdrop for the "after" pictures!

Only one process picture in this tutorial because, well, that's about all there was to it!


We enjoyed walking around Old Town and found this great vintage car parked in front of a cafe.  The color matched my dress perfectly!


While packing for our getaway, I grabbed a few necklaces to bring along.  This one happened to match perfectly with the dress.  And, the best part was that I picked it up for only $2!


The rest of the pictures were taken on the dock at the Port of Siuslaw.




I guess ombre is popular even in nature!  Check out these barnacle-covered piles!






I like to link to these great parties!


Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Stripes Are A Good Thing...Part Two!

If you've been following along, you'll remember from "Stripes Are A Good Thing...Part One" that it all began with an oversized blue dress and a men's polo shirt.


Part one ended with this dress...


Next is part two, using the leftovers....


...which resulted in this skirt.


A fun, comfortable skirt with patch pockets on the front.


A buttoned slit at the back.


And, stripes down the side.



  

It was beautiful, but slightly windy day at the Oregon beach!


Here's how it all came together:









Hem it any way you prefer.  To get the most length I could, I serged the edge, turned it up 1/2" and stitched it by hand with a blind stitch.

I like to link to these great parties.




Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A Toad Stool Foot Stool!

My youngest daughter is expecting her first child in March.  She has decided to decorate the nursery in a woodland animals theme.  While shopping around for a comfortable swivel rocker for the nursery (which we found a perfect one at Value Village for only $7.99!) we luckily came across the perfect footstool to go with it.  Well, it had the makings of the perfect foot stool, we just needed to change it up a bit!


We started with this brown, furry mushroom-shaped foot stool...straight out of the 70's!  In fact, if this would have been orange, or yellow, it would have fit in perfectly with my junior high bedroom back in the day!


We got to work removing all of the staples and dismantling the whole thing.


We used the removed pieces as patterns for our new pieces.  Lucky for us I had the perfect color of cream-colored vinyl in my stash...I knew when I saw it at a thrift store that it would come in handy some day!



We thought it would be fun to add some "grass" around the bottom of the stool.  We used fusible bonding web to adhere the fabric strips to the vinyl.  We tested the process first on a scrap.  It worked fine, without melting the vinyl, as long as we used a pressing cloth over the fabric and vinyl.  Once in place, each blade was stitch with a straight stitch close to the edge.


The new pieces were then reattached to the plywood with staples.



Although the original was left with the plywood showing, we plan on gluing a ring of felt around the underside to finish it off.  Now we have a cute toad stool foot stool for her woodland nursery!





I like to link to these great parties!

Featured on:


Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Stripes Are A Good Thing...Part One!


I picked up this plain navy blue dress the other day for $2.  Since it was polyester with some lycra mixed in, my first thought was to just take it in on the sides for an easy pullover dress.  However, when I brought it home, it happened to match perfectly with a striped polo shirt hanging in my refashion closet.  The wheels in my head started turning and I decided to kick it up a notch with some stripes!

The end result was this....






Keep reading for the step-by-step on how it was done.










At this point, the refashion could be finished, but I wanted the neckline a little higher, plus I thought the added detail would be nice.



This next step was just to get a better fit.  It worked well since the fabric had some stretch to it.  With non-stretch fabric it would probably be better to remove the sleeve, trim everything down and then replace the sleeve.



 And that's it!  Pretty simple, very comfortable, and the best part...enough fabric left over to make a skirt!  Coming soon!

I like to link to these great parties!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...